Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Day 7 - In Love

A week, spellbinding.

Everyday, I fall deeper and deeper in love with this old city. There is a certain charm and character that I have grown to respect. A warmth that makes my heart glow as I walk the streets at night.

Last night, we explored the chowks (markets) reveling in the beauty and splendour of woven wonders of silk. Storekeepers ever ready with friendly smiles beckoning for me to touch the rich fabrics, to sample their wares. Entranced by the glitter of the silks that hung before me, enchanted by the smiles that lined the dusty streets.





Dinner.
Into the old walled city we ventured. Near the back alleys of the red-light district where the dancing girls of Lahore, many moons past, threw back their heads in pleasure as they enticed and entranced. Up a narrow staircase to a rooftop restaurant overlooking the fort and mosque. The mosque lights lit up the night, while the Imam melodiously filled the still-night air with terawih verses that stirred both appetite and senses.





I’ve fallen in love with this enchanting city. Beneath the dust, I’ve found a treasure I hope always to keep close to my heart.

No comments: