Sunday, October 01, 2006

Day 5 - Room Service

Part 1

There isn’t a hot water boiler in the room. Every time I need a hot drink, I’d have to call for room service. The water is free but a tip is always expected.

A request for “Some Hot Water” to be sent to the room, usually comes with a pot of hot boiling water hidden under a hideous tea cozy (I thought tea cozies when extinct a long time ago), a cup and saucer; and a spoon.

Two nights ago, I thought it would be a good idea to have some oatmeal in the evening for supper.I called for room service and asked specifically for, “some hot water, brown sugar and please, don’t forget the spoon”.

I wanted some sugar for my oatmeal, and remembered also that room service had forgotten to bring me a spoon once.I wasn’t about to use my hands to eat gooey hot oatmeal.

When the waiter arrived, he came exactly with that- hot water, sugar, and a spoon.
No tea cup! I had oatmeal in the little bowl of sugar satchets that night.


Part 2

There’s a room service waiter I’m terribly afraid of. He’s a tall, thin, gawky fella with a thick bushy moustache and a matching set of eyebrows. The first time he entered my room balancing a tray of hot water and tea cups, he paused looked at me asked me how I was and entered the room, saying:“You can close the door, madam”.
As if he was going to put the tray down, flop on the bed and say (while smoothening the sheets in a beckoning fashion)

Aja …Aja… ” (come here, in Urdu).

Not that I was contemplating it at all, but the thought, “Hmm…I don’t think Iman would approve of this” did flash across my mind.

I smiled and said,“Hmm.. no it’s ok”.

Since that first time, everytime he came to send me water, he’d ask me the same-
to close the door. And once, he turned to attempt to shut the door while I half-squealed out in anxiousness,“No, it’s ok”, reaching out to keep the door open.

He still sends me water, but now I hold the door firm and stay by the door while he comes in and out of the room.

I think we’ve established that pattern.

Now, all I have to do is get used to him leaning into my face and asking me,
“Is there anything else you need, Madam?”.

“No, not at all. That is fine, thank you.”

*slam*




Picture of PL and the jolly-not-so-green Giant

No comments: