Thursday, October 05, 2006

Day 12- Stuck in a Jam


Traffic can be really bad here in Lahore. REAL BAD! And the driving? Even worse! But what I really admire about the people here is that the bad traffic doesn’t faze them at all. You don’t get screaming and shouting, and cussing! Ok maybe it’s because I’m always driving with the government drivers and they probably aren’t suppose to cuss in front of foreign ladies!

But I’ve noticed that they’re generally laid back, and relaxed. At most, they let out a quiet, ‘Tsk!’ or even better, shake their head and grin at me about the absurdity of the driving conditions and ‘techniques’ here!

This evening, I went shopping. And we decided to chuck the hotel car and go local. We went on a rickshaw, which isn’t the traditional and typical Singapore rickshaw but really a smaller tuk tuk! On a diesel engine that revs so loud that it feels as if the gear box would just explode. It was a really bumpy ride, I was giggling out loud as we bounced around. On the way there, PL, David and me, squeezed into the back like a tin of sardines. It was hilarious.

On the way back, we decided to take the bigger one with seats facing the back. It was a hoot, because the drivers and motorcyclist were staring straight at me and PL while they drove through the traffic. I love the people here, they’re so friendly. So we were waved at by young men, older men, older ladies-all happy to say hello!

Even shopping is such a pleasure, they always welcome you to their shops and never fail to smile and say, ‘It’s ok!’ when I say sorry when I don’t like shoe designs, or the kurtas are too gaudy!

No comments: