Monday, March 20, 2006

fishy drama...

last week...to my absolute horror...i found ChiamST...my light greyish yellow guppy...resting his tails ever so often at the bottom of his 'tank'...i cajoled him to swim as he used to...to glide through the waters as effortlessly as before...but every stroke his little fins made seemed a tremendous effort too much my poor lil' Chiam to endure...he didn't even surface to feast on the fishy flakes i crush to little bits for their tiny fishy palette...

even TeoCH seemed concern...swimming close to ChiamST...as if willing him to go on...it seemed clear to both fish and i..that ChiamST's time was almost over...

i knew my heart was going to break into a million pieces...as i googled for what could be wrong...i found no answers...in a vain attempt...to keep me occupied as my work just seemed suddenly dull...bland...even unimportant...i decided to clean the 'tank'...I carried the tank..now empty of its residences that now temporarily swam in little bowls on my table... off its resting place...onto the trolley...and to the restroom...where the kind restroom keeper lady...helped me clean the 'tank's' contents...

i left that evening...my heart heavy... i was to be at alicia's wedding the whole day after..and wouldn't be around...lest the undesirable were to occur...

the next day...i woke early...as a jie-mei to alicia... i was at her place at the break of dawn...too occupied to think about anything else...but the bride...it was only later...while waiting at the groom's place...that flynn called...my heart almost stopped...thinking it was bad news about ChiamST...she asked about work...my heart pounded...anticipating the bad news....i waited...but nothing....i plucked up the courage...and asked...

'He's fine! He's been swimming happily all morning!'...

My brief moments of quite relief...were shortlived...as an amazing sense of euphoria sweeped over me!....

I had to tell Alicia...who cares if she's in the middle of the tea-ceremony...this is certainly more important....ChiamST's OK!

1 comment:

PerfectlyImperfect said...

Just goes to show that marriage is not a matter of life and death! N'est ce pas?