Friday, December 23, 2005

intellectually humbled



phnom penh.

it was certainly an experience never to be forgotten. it wasn't so much the sights and sounds. certainly the hustle of a crowded street with parisian built apartments looming over a street, otherwise dull and grey, but now coloured by people, cars and hawkers with the wares, will linger on in my mind for longer.

it was the friends i made. datuks from malaysia. pengeran's from brunei. directors from cambodia. doctors and nguyens from vietnam. eminent persons from Myanmar. the list goes on.

people who take my thoughts and opinions seriously. willing to discuss at length issues of history, politics, architecture and art. happy to poke fun. to see the lighter side of things. oh there was the work. believe you me. but what happiness to balance work with such great recreation.

one person left such an impression on me that i dare say i will never forget him. Dr Than Nyun. remarkable. well-informed. cultured. gentlemanly. my short time with him left me intellectually enriched and humbled at the same time. i certainly look forward to his eminence calling on me come the new year.

i look forward to many more of such experiences.

No comments: